Books for Profit?

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Tue Jun 3 10:06:01 EDT 2003

Graham Samuel wrote:

> At this stage I feel we're
> nearer to a need for something close to non-profit-making

I hope not! :-D

While I certainly don't hope to get rich on my RunRev information
content -- which will take several different forms -- I sure don't
expect to put in this much time and effort as a pure labor of love,
either.

I have not been able to get a sense for how big the installed base of
Rev and MC is, but I'm guessing that if it wasn't on the order of a few
thousand for each product, the companies would long ago have stopped
development. Some reasonable percentage of those users are folks who
will gobble up whatever they can get in the way of information to help
them work with the product better. I conclude, therefore, that the key
is pricing information in such a way that modest numbers of buyers can
still make the enterprise at least marginally profitable.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com
Latest Book Release: "HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS"
(http://www.sitepoint.com/books/css1/)