impossible to save

Emmanuel Companys mcompanys at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 04:33:02 EDT 2003

Le lundi, 2 juin 2003, à 04:10 Europe/Paris, J. Landman Gay a écrit :

> On 6/1/03 3:51 PM, Emmanuel Companys wrote:
>
>> What is this ' ~ backup file', and where is it?
>
> When Rev saves a stack, it first renames the original stack by placing
> a tilde (~) in front of the stack's file name. Then it makes a copy of
> the stack and names the copy what the original stack used to be. At
> this point there are now two copies of your stack:
>
>  myStack -- this is the copy
>  ~myStack -- this was the original
>
> If the save operation works, the tilde copy is deleted from the hard
> drive. If the save doesn't work for some reason, then you still have
> the tilde copy (which was the original) to fall back on.

I understand what BU file RR was talking about. But this doesn't
explain the 'Vü": "Litteris 1.1"  became " Litteris◊ü.rev~".

> You can delete the tilde and continue to use the stack.

By deleting the ~ I get :
a) clicking directly on the file: "L'application Hypercard a quitte
inopinement"
b) with RR 2,0 open "Unable to open stack: stack is corrupted, check
for ~ backup fil."
c) with RR 1.1.1 open: clicking at the file, some squares brevely flash
but the stact doesn't open; from the file menu: "There was a problem
opening that stack: file is not a stack" (!)

> The tilde copy will be located in the same folder as the original
> stack. In your case, there is no tilde copy because Rev 1.1.1 saved
> the stack successfully in the past, and Rev 2.0 won't save it at all.

The tilde copy was there, with its normal RR icon,  but apparently
corrupted.

Now, since
a) the only stack impossible to save in 2.0 was the only one containing
combo bocxes
b) when the stack opened in 2.0, its combo boxes  height, still reading
18 pts in the inspector, became about 12 pts in the screen (I had to
set them to 22 pts to get the normal height back; and I got the same
strange behavior in a new built stak),)
c) I could finally save my stack under 2.0 after I had, under 1.1.1,
changed all its combo box buttons into option buttons,
I suppose that something is worng whith the way 2.0 handels buttons, at
least in my mac, a G4 with macOS 10.2.6.

Combo box buttons are not the only ones showing abnormal behavior: see
my yesterday's post  "Weird button behavior in 2.0". I can't  imagine
the RR program is to be blamed. Something must be wrong in my
installation. I'd just like to know what!

Manuel