OT - Rev XML terms--tutorials

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jul 30 00:56:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 11:24  PM, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I am slowly familiarizing myself with XML as a "must know" subject..
>
> In reading through XML tutorials and the Annotated XML Specification
> at xml.com, I do not find any reference any where to the word "node"
> which we see throughout the Rev XML library.  I suspect this is a
> synonym for some standard XML term...
>
> Question 1: What is an XML node?

Not sure, but I think it is synonymous with an XML "element". But the
semantics are that a node is part of a tree structure. So it's an XML
element that maybe has parent node, sibling nodes and children nodes.

> Question 2:  (OT)  for the complete XML newbie...  what is your
> recommendation to get up to speed... with such a vast number or
> resources on the web and tons of books... its hard to focus....

I think the SOAP_toolbox.rev tutorial (in your Sample Stacks folder) is
a good learning resource. It's well written, walks you through an
interesting real-world use of XML, and the revSoap functions use
transcript's revXML functions. After seeing how SOAP works, and what
the XML looks like, then read the source code for SOAP_toolbox.rev as
well as the revSoap library (it's not a lot of code). Then just
experiment with the revXML* functions. You will learn a lot faster this
way than trying to stay awake through the Annotated XML Spec.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com