Universal GUI

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Mon Jul 28 16:23:00 EDT 2003

"...I understand progressive discovery. I find in most instances it
creates
problems. I'd much rather see a menu item disabled and still holding a
place, then removed completely from a menu. Microsoft is terrible with
this
with "Menus show recently used commands first." I hate it, and disable
this
feature each time I install Office2000 or Outlook...."

My wife is not especially computer savvy, but is able to efficiently
run the software she uses every day. Recently, during one of the few
times she opened MS Word XP, she became frustrated because the menu
items she expected to be in a certain place were suddenly not there;
this due to the "feature" described above.  I also have disabled a
similar application- and document-hiding "feature" in the WinXP start
menu on all the computers in our office.
We'll have the patience to look through a few extra lines of text to
find what we need, when we need it, thank you.

-Kurt