downloading .rev files [was Re: Spell check for Rev?]

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sun Jul 27 16:29:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 09:26  AM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>> http://www.kwinter.ca/wordman.rev
>
> I should know how to deal with this but I don't. How do I translate
> this Explorer page into a RR file, or even the script as a text file?

This comes up pretty frequently. David's wordman.rev was just a spur of
the moment thing... so this information is just so people are aware of
it in general:

If you are putting a .rev file on a webserver, but when people download
it displays in the browser: it's not the user's fault, or their web
browser's fault. The fault is the configuration of the web server. The
web server does not know what mime-type to send with a .rev file.

IF your web server is running Apache (very likely), and the
configuration allows overrides by users (pretty likely), the solution
is: create a file named .htaccess (note first character is a ".") Edit
the file with a text editor in plain text mode. Put the .htaccess file
into your web folder. Done. This is the .htaccess file I found useful
on my website:

AddType application/octet-stream dmg
AddType application/octet-stream gz
AddType application/octet-stream rev

Now the user's web browser will not display any of these files types,
it will just download them to disk.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com