Long File Names

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 27 00:12:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 06:29  AM, Yves COPPE wrote:

>> d) But! if I read this into Revolution , using "answer file" I get
>> this:
>>
>> /Users/katir/   Working/  Editorial/  Letters to the editor/
>> Receive a Bonus Upgr#10AA21.txt
>>
>> where the Rev engine or the Mac OSX (can't determine which) has
>> truncated the file name to 31 chars, hashing the overlength portion
>> using a mysterious algorithm.
>>

> I had the same problem on mac OS X with Rev 1.x
> since I run on Rev 2.0.x, this problem is siolved...
> I can use filename with any number of chars, as file or in the path
> (as foldername)
>
> So perhaps is this a problem of Rev version ?
>
> Greetings.
> Yves COPPE

Well, You can write a long file name but not read it... at least not
here in 2.0.1
e.g.

## button 1 ##
on mouseUp
   ask file "enter"
       ## Enter a file name of 150 characters)
   put "hellO" into url ("file:"&it)
end mouseUp

## the above will work ##

## button 1 ##
on mouseUp
   ask file "enter" ## Enter a file name of 150 characters)
   put "hellO" into url ("file:"&it)
end mouseUp

## the above will work ##

## button 2 ##
on mouseUp
   answer file "choose a long file name" with "OK"
       ## choose the long file name you just saved above
  put it
end mouseUp

what do you get?