mailing list vs newsgroup

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sat Jul 26 15:19:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 03:54  AM, Hans Ydelm wrote:

> This is probably the busiest mailing list I subscribe too.
> Unfortunately
> when the volume is too high it is difficult to see the mailing threads
> and a newsgroup reader would be much better.

I agree that threads are easier to read-- but that's not good enough
reason to start a newsgroup IMHO.

You can read the list in a threaded view here on the web:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/

This article mentions some mail clients that do message threading:

	http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html
	"""In this document, I describe what is, in my humble but correct
opinion, the best known algorithm for threading messages (that is,
grouping messages together in parent/child relationships based on which
messages are replies to which others.)  This is the threading algorithm
that was used in Netscape Mail and News 2.0 and 3.0, and in Grendel.
"""

Does anyone know why so few mail clients offer threaded views by
subject? Most Usenet news readers do have threading by subject... go
figure.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com