Clicking on linked text sends a mouseLeave message?

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Jul 24 16:51:15 EDT 2003

The  script below allows students to click on various words
("objective lens", "ocular lens" etc.) in a "Help field" and an arrow
is drawn from the linked word or phrase to the object in question.

But I want the arrow to go away (set the points of graphic "arrow" to
empty) when the the mouse leaves the  field.

  But my handler "mouseLeave" beeps every time I click on a link, the
arrow flashes but immediately disappears.

Why should clicking on a link send a mouseLeave message?

If I omit the mouseLeave handler, the arrow appears and stays as it
should. (But of course it doesn't go away when the mouse leaves the
field.)

on mouseUP
   if there is no graphic "arrow" then
     set the style of the templateGraphic to "line"
     set the endarrow of the templateGraphic to true
     set the lineSize of the templateGraphic  to  2
     create graphic "arrow"
   end if

   put the mouseLoc into line 1 of tGraphicPoints --Set the start
point of the arrow
   put the clicktext into what

   switch what
   case "objective lens"
     put 869,217 into line 2 of tGraphicPoints -- Set the end point
     break
   case "ocular lens"
     put 545,263 into line 2 of tGraphicPoints
     break
   case "focal point"
     put 435,327 into line 2 of tGraphicPoints
     break
   default
     put "" into line 2 of tGraphicPoints
     break
   end switch
   set the points of graphic "arrow" to tGraphicPoints --Draw the arrow
   send "choose the browse tool" to me in 1 tick
end mouseUp

on mouseLeave
   beep
   set the points of graphic "arrow" to ""