LibURL & file-encoding question

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 11:13:03 EDT 2003

At 12:44 pm +0200 23/7/03, tkuypers at pandora.be wrote:
>Jan,
>
>I figured your solution out about 3 minutes after I sent my mail, but too
>bad... It's a no-go :-(
>
>What happens:
>
>Use Explorer to fetch the XML data from the database:
>   -> Shows perfect in the browser.
>Save the file as an XML-file and re-open it:
>   -> Parsing error
>Open the XML in Notepad and save with UTF8 encoding:
>   -> Shows perfect in the browser.

It looks like the problem is in the way Explorer saves the file. I'm
assuming the original data is utf8 but it looks like it is getting
saved as ISO latin.

>Then:
>
>Get the url in RR and put it into tXMLData
>put uniEncode(tXMLData,"UTF8") into URL("file:" & tFilePath)

This will convert the data to utf16 which is probably not what you
want. (Also, it may be better to save XML data as a "binfile"  -- put
... into url ("binfile:" & tFilepath)

>Result: < ? x m l  v e r s i o n = " 1 . 0 " etc.
>The second byte is obviously not used in the XML, so encoding does what it
>has to do, but messes things up.
>
>The XML does not have the encoding-part in the header, when I add it before
>saving there is no difference.
>
>Do you know if the XML in the database (Oracle) needs to be "formatted" or
>transmitted in a special way by any chance? The strange thing is that
>Explorer works with it fine, but saving the file screws it up...

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do. But if you just want to
save the data as a utf-8 encoded file, what happens when you download
with Rev, save to a file (using "binfile"), and then open in Internet
Explorer?

Cheers
Dave