HIG (How to make an Unclickable Check Box)

curry curry at pair.com
Wed Jul 23 04:24:01 EDT 2003

>  Pardon the intrusion, but it may be worth noting that an unclickable
>  checkbox is a violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and of
>  general UI design rules about user expectations. I'd respectfully
>  suggest some other way of indicating the user's connected state than a
>  checkbox he can't click on or change. I guarantee you'll have
>  frustrated and confused users.

There are also another couple of icons that look like a round
indicator light off and on, those might not be bad with the button's
text align set to right, then you can also have not too different
from the size and shape the checkbox would have been.

However, about Apple--I can no longer consider them to be the
ultimate example of good interface, as they were before.

Curry