unclear on the concept, or major report printing bugs?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 16:35:01 EDT 2003

--- Alex Rice <alrice at ARCplanning.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 02:04  PM, Jan
> Schenkel wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > However, the algorithm doesn't care if it's
> slicing a
> > field in half ; it just divides up the card into
> > slices the size of what fits between the header
> and
> > footer.
>
> This is surprising. For some reason I thought the
> Reports feature could
> do at least some basic pagination of big cards,
> since it offers 1-up or
> N-up options.
>
> > In case you're feeling adventurous and want to
> learn
> > more about the report generator inner workings,
> have a
> > look at the 'revPrintBack' backscript.
>
> Yes I was reading the backscript and it appeared to
> me that it should
> have been able to paginate a tall card. I guess I
> misread the
> transcript.

When you're in the backScript, go to the handler
revPrintMultiplePageCard ; it calls the function
revCalculateNumberPages() which employs a tactic of
straight slicing and dicing.

On the other hand, revPrintField uses the pageHeights
property to determine how to split up the lines of
text in the field so they fit on a page.

Jan Schenkel.

=====