hypertext and "hand" cursor

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jul 16 00:25:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 10:15  PM, Howard Bornstein wrote:

>> on mouseEnter
>>   if the textStyle of the target = "link" then
>>     set the cursor to hand
>>     lock cursor
>>   end if
>>   pass mouseEnter
>> end mouseEnter
>>
>> on mouseLeave
>>    if the textStyle of the target = "link" then
>>     set the cursor to the defaultCursor
>>     unlock cursor
>>   end if
>>   pass mouseLeave
>> end mouseLeave
>
> I have hyperlinks in many fields throughout my applications, so rather
> than putting these handlers in every field, I use one handler in the
> stack script:

Actually I put the mouseEnter and mouseLeave handlers in a stack script
so they catch the events from all the fields on all the cards in the
stack.

> on checkforLink
>   if the mousechunk contains "field" then
>     if the textstyle of the mousechunk = "Link" then
>       set the cursor to hand
>       lock cursor
>     else
>       set the cursor to arrow
>       lock cursor
>     end if
>   end if
>
>   send CheckforLink to me in 30 ticks
>
> end checkforLink

Couple of drawbacks with your method

- never idles
- always locks the cursor so I bet you don't get the ibeam cursor in
editable fields for example

Thanks for the alternate method though!

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com