Creating a DSN for ODBC access

Mark Powell Mark.Powell at veritas.com
Tue Jul 15 13:34:00 EDT 2003

I am on Windows 2000, and have a relatively small Microsoft Access database
that I want to point to and extract raw data.  I am stumped at square one. I
would like to use the path instead of a DSN to address the database,
something like

get revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",pathToFile)

However this doesn't seem to work.  Is it required that I use a DSN for ODBC
access?  I am not understanding the advantages of having to do this and am
confounded by the interface of the Data Sources control panel that the docs
point to.  (BTW, I am a RunRev newbie, but with years of HyperCard
development in the early 90s--this product is my dream come true).

Any help appreciated!

Mark Powell