Open driver?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jul 6 22:32:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 04:25 PM, Sarah wrote:

> It depends whether your USB interface mimics a printer port. If it
> does (like port 1 on Keyspan or similar adapters), then you can
> connect perfectly.

This might not be the case on my Keyspan single port high speed
adaptor, USA-19QW, or else I have something blocking it.

If I try this:

open file "printer:" for binary read

I get empty in the result.  (And zero in the sysError.)

(I open for read to avoid creating files and to get a good result.  I
think.)

But the RTS and DSR lines don't light up on my little gadget as they do
when the Keyspan is really opened.

Moreover, I get empty in the result even when the Keyspan is not
plugged in.  I don't have a "printer:" serial port on my Blue & White
G3 with Mac OS 9.2 unless there is some virtual dummy set up by the OS.

Dar Scott