Open driver?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jul 6 14:51:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 03:27 AM, Christoph Pastl wrote:

> The "open driver" command does not work.
> I used many different names for the drivername, but no success.
> (I took the drivername which appears in the Apple System Profiler too.)

I have been tinkering with a Keyspan usb-to-serial adaptor, today.  I
have not been able to open this with Mac OS 9 and Revolution 2.0.1.

I have heard tales of others who have not been able to open
usb-to-serial on Mac OS 9 and after a while have given up.

I have also experimented with 'open file' but it is hard to tell
success, because I always get empty for the result.  I expect I will
find that I have created all kinds of files.

I think some people have opened "modem" and "printer" (or is it
"modem:" and "printer:"?).  If you can somehow force a name change,
maybe that will work.

> The reason I know that my USB board is "visible" for the MacOS is,
> that I can request its name using AppleScript. (With the "SerialPort
> osax")
> I can also send data to my module using this osax.

I'm not very AppleScript savvy.  How can I get this name?  Can I use
'do ... as AppleScript'?

I am curious about this evaluation board.

Dar Scott

   Dar Scott Consulting     Programming Services     dsc at swcp.com