cr and return

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jul 1 19:49:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 06:15 PM, erik hansen wrote:

> isn't a return a carriage return and...
> a form feed? crIsReturn() in all cases?

The Revolution formFeed is the ASCII form feed and is distinct from the
others.
The Revolution LF (new) is the ASCII line feed.

The Revolution CR is not the ASCII carriage return but is the same as
LF.
The Revolution return is not the ASCII carriage return but is the same
as LF.

The Revolution tab is the same as the ASCII tab.
The Revolution null (new) is the same as the ASCII null.

The Revolution CRLF is the same as the ASCII CR LF sequence, but the
first char is not the same as the Revolution CR.

The most acceptable word for the line end in Revolution seems to be
return.  Some use CR because it is shorter.  The use of CR grates on my
nerves.  I use LF which bothers some others especially in contexts
where it is the Revolution line end and does not have a particular
ASCII function.

> function crIsReturn
>    return (cr = return)
> end crIsReturn