More send in time

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jul 1 10:58:01 EDT 2003

I'm babbling on, but I wanted to add one more thing about using send.

 From these examples and from most I've seen on this list including
mine, one can get the impression that send is useful only for repeated
execution, a sort of glorified idle.  However, send can be used to
build timeouts, delays, activity sensors (retrigerable oneshots for you
electronics types) and other mechanisms, even in concert with
callbacks, such as sockets callbacks.  These message machines, as I
call them, can be used to interact with other message machines.

Dar Scott