How to prevent stack closure?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 06:31:00 EST 2003

This seems a naive question compared with the current list
preoccupations, but here goes:

I'm designing an app where the user can 'open' a window (stack) which
gives some additional info about what's happening, and can then
'close' it again at will, either by a  menu action or by clicking the
close box on the window.

As far as the user is concerned the window just opens and closes, but
from the app's point of view it's important that the stack stays open
so that stuff can be written to fields in it, etc. Thus in order to
give the user what they want and the developer (me) what I want, I
need to trap the click on the close box and convert the 'close' to
'hide'. I have already done this successfully with a stack with
static content (a help window), by trapping the CloseStackRequest
message, as recommended in the Transcript Dictionary.

I now find that if the content of the stack has changed, on clicking
the 'close' box, even when the browse tool is chosen, I always get a
'Save changes before closing?' message from the Development
environment. My CloseStackRequest handler doesn't kick in until the
Dev Env has had its turn. How can I change this behaviour, or do I
just have to put up with it until my app gets to be a standalone?

Graham