Serendipity Library Update 20030123

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 27 03:19:01 EST 2003

>> Freedom's just an other word for "nothin'
>> left to lose"
>
> Kris Kristofferson

just having musical buzzwords in the archives
is a beacon to extremists.

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity for a little levity.

FWIW, I'm not the oldest person here, but neither am I the youngest.  The
current events that have bled over into this list are potentially the most
significant world events in my lifetime.   Emotions run high when we lose
3,000 lives in under an hour, and as we grapple with the best path to avoid
such horrors in the future it's understandable that we may sometimes forget
to employ the polite compartmentalization that allows us to get through the
day to day.  Every list I'm on is affected by this momentous decision of
whether to alter the course of history by introducing the principle of
preemption.  Our very lives may be at stake, and certainly the economic
climate in which we produce software.  While I agree that this list is best
served by sticking to its charter, I would not advocate exacerbating the
emotions through debate or derision in this venue.

People use signature lines for all manner of purposes, and arguably my
purely commercial use is among the most crass (though perhaps less so than
the 40-line legal disclaimers some corporate email servers tack on to
outgoing messages <g>).  If you don't agree with a sigline, or don't like
WebMerge, the most meaningful dialog can be had with a private email to the
author.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation