OT: Elegant Cross Platform Fonts

Wolfgang M. Bereuter wmb at internettrainer.com
Thu Jan 23 04:40:01 EST 2003

On Donnerstag, Jänner 23, 2003, at 08:42  Uhr, Signe Marie Sanne wrote:

>> Does someone have a short, fairly reliable, list of fonts that are
>> likely to be found both on Mac and Windows machines? I suppose I
>> could look at one of our windows machines here, but I am thinking
>> someone of you has already been down this road and will already have
>> a definitive list.

> I used to set textfonts to Geneva on Mac and MS Sans Serif (up to 17)
> and Arial (for higher) on Windows. Then to my dismay I discovered that
> on Windows XP the font MS Sans Serif has disappeared, or perhaps just
> changed name to Microsoft Sans Serif. This meant that I have to change
> the script lines of hundreds of programs (sigh!). I have now started
> using only VERDANA which is a distinct and nice font and has been
> found on both platforms for some years now. The textsize and
> textheight varies just a little from one platform to another.  At
> least it's worth a try!
Verdana is a good tip. Its defined from M$ as a special monitor fonts
for Apps, webdesign etc...
I combine it with Adobes Myriad for bigger sizes.
On the Adobe page you can also find fonts for apps, webdesign (Myriad
is one of them).
imho important is: dont use Arial. This brings your apps this kind of
ugly "old fashioned Microsoft Word Layout"- design. Brrrrr..!
What I dont know is: what happens with these fonts on Linux - They are
substituted automatically by Helvetica, or..?

regards
Wolfgang M. Bereuter

Learn easy with trainingsmaps©

INTERNETTRAINER Wolfgang M. Bereuter
Edelhofg. 17/11, A-1180 Wien, Austria
http://www.internettrainer.com, wmb at internettrainer.com
Tel: ++43/1/ 961 0418, Fax: ++43/1/ 479 2539