OT: Elegant Cross Platform Fonts

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Thu Jan 23 02:47:01 EST 2003

>Does someone have a short, fairly reliable, list of fonts that are
>likely to be found both on Mac and Windows machines? I suppose I
>could look at one of our windows machines here, but I am thinking
>someone of you has already been down this road and will already have
>a definitive list.
>
>In particular I am looking for a cross-platform font that is a
>little prettier and more elegant that Arial, for use as a large
>display font where I am dynamically changing the text from a
>customProperty and don't want to make all those text displays as
>images in Photoshop ahead of time (too much work and too much data)
>In this context we don't have really tight size parameters we have
>to worry about as we will just give it plenty of room (unlike when
>making small buttons where the type size differences for the same
>font across platforms can be a headache.)

I used to set textfonts to Geneva on Mac and MS Sans Serif (up to 17)
and Arial (for higher) on Windows. Then to my dismay I discovered
that on Windows XP the font MS Sans Serif has disappeared, or perhaps
just changed name to Microsoft Sans Serif. This meant that I have to
change the script lines of hundreds of programs (sigh!). I have now
started using only VERDANA which is a distinct and nice font and has
been found on both platforms for some years now. The textsize and
textheight varies just a little from one platform to another.  At
least it's worth a try!

Signe Marie Sanne

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway