Functional Library Stacks

Jez jbradshaw at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 11:08:01 EST 2003

I want to create a stack containing only functional code which I can
reference and use in other stacks (standalones).

Currently I am creating the library stack "lib.rev" and effectively
importing code into standalone stacks (eg. "app1.rev", "app2.rev") using the
"insert script" command so that functions are in the message path for these
applications, eg: in app1.rev OpenStack message:

    insert script of button "getFirstLine" of card "filehandling" of stack
"lib" into front

This works fine in the build by ensuring the library is also included,
except that I end up with two files which must be distributed together:
app1.exe and lib.rev. Anyone with revolution can open up my library stack
and see what's in it. Also, to run the app in Browse mode within the
designer I have to ensure that lib.rev is also loaded into memory.

My question is : is there any way to keep my lib.rev stack separately
maintainable but have it referenced and built into a single executable
(app1.exe) which can be distributed on its own? This should also work in
Browse mode without me having to load each library stack whenever I want to
modify any stack which uses them (there may be many ultimately). Obviously,
if I change lib.rev I would expect to have to rebuild my applications that
use it, but that's all - I wouldn't expect to have to copy the library stack
to a separate substack in the app.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !