Why is the Stack ID wrong?

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Wed Jan 22 03:52:00 EST 2003

Hi-ya all,

I've been off working on a few projects and I'm stumped again.  (I'm
sorry I don't always appear on this list to help out, I do often check
to see if there is a tidbit that I've got that is unique).  Often the
most simple stump us (shall we restrict this to 'me'?):

Create a new stack.  Add a button.  Put this script in the button:

on mouseUp
   put the abbrev id of this stack into tThisID
   put tThisID
   hide tThisID
end mouseUp

... the msg box contains "stack id 1003" or whatever.  But the last
statement doesn't work, just an error!  I trawled the archives and
nothing, I'm sure I'm missin' something!

Of course it WORKS if we have:

on mouseUp
   put the long name of this stack into tThisID
   put tThisID
   hide tThisID
end mouseUp

So why is the ID so obscure?  I've tried all my ol' HyperCard concepts,
just can't get my head around this one.  No sub-stacks, nothing.

HELP!  It must be simple, the ID is a basic building block... and I
MUST be missing something here, right?  (I know in a few hours I'm
going to feel really stupid once I have a logical answer).

Cheers,

M@
Matt Denton