New Math

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Jan 11 00:00:01 EST 2003

Recently, Judy Perry wrote:

> Apparently,
> if one simply uses a GIF with transparency, the transparent areas do not
> respond to mouse events.  This is my experience.  Am I correct about this?

Yup.  You can use PNG too for 24 bit images.

But in the case of the US states example, think about what you can do with
color: each mouse state (over, down, click, active, disabled) can be
communicated using color and a single draw object.  You could also overlay
draw objects on top of a rendered US image, so that each state hilites
independently.  With 50 (or so) state objects, a little scripting could go a
long way.  Just a thought...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director