The joy of animated GIF

erik hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 17:09:01 EST 2003

 Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:
>how does icon animation compare to gif or "external image files"
>approaches with respect to "chewing up large amounts of RAM"?

Sorry erik,

I don't have enough experience to give you an authoritative answer.
The crux of the issue is all images in an animated gif are loaded in
RAM when the gif is displayed; so the number & size of the frames in
the gif determine the RAM hit, whereas individual external images
need only exist in RAM when actually displayed.

<response follows:>

so the "image" (in a general sense) attached to an icon is stored in a file on disk, an external image. so the icon you see on a button is really an "image" meaning a file on disk? as are the actual images in the stricty RR sense?

my HC icons were converted to images and the do blithefully move around the screen according to scripted instruction. understanding the idea behind the mechanics sometimes takes a while longer even after reading the documentation. the sunbreak of comprehension is followed by a cognitive fog.

thanks for the help.

erik at erikhansen.org    http://www.erikhansen.org