The joy of animated GIF

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Jan 4 10:51:01 EST 2003

>how does icon animation compare to gif or "external image files"
>approaches with respect to "chewing up large amounts of RAM"?

Sorry erik,

I don't have enough experience to give you an authoritative answer.
The crux of the issue is all images in an animated gif are loaded in
RAM when the gif is displayed; so the number & size of the frames in
the gif determine the RAM hit, whereas individual external images
need only exist in RAM when actually displayed.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company