ppc engine dowload problems

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 1 17:08:01 EST 2003

DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:

> I was wondering if a ppc only build would be much smaller than a 'fat' build.

Yes, by nearly half.  This is true of all "fat" applications, since they
efectively contain two complete sets of object code (one for 68k and one for
PPC).

But as time goes by, I'm delivering to fewer and fewer 68k systems.  Aside
from some public schools and a handful of other specialized cases, it seems
few people who haven't upgraded machines in over 7 years also have the RAM
and other system resources to make effective use of the stuff I've been
building.

What percentage of your audience requires 68k?

> I selected ppc in the build distribution stack, and was duly invited to
> download the engine.  After a few seconds a dialog advised "there was an
> error trying to  decompress the engine. The file appears to be corrupt.".
> Anyone else get this?

Such things are often transmission errors, worth retrying.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation