QT movies are driving me crazy

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 14:41:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:27:52 -0800  Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>Graham Samuel wrote:
>
>>  I've got a couple of tiny QT movies, both of which are masked. When I
>>  put them into RR player objects, one of the movies gets masked
>>  properly (i.e. the shape of the movie on the screen is the shape of
>>  the mask rather than a rectangle) and the other one appears in a
>>  white rectangle which blots out the background objects. The only
>>  difference I can see between the movies is that the one that doesn't
>>  work has two video tracks (both separately masked) and the one that
>>  does work has only one video track. AFAICS from the Quicktime Player
>>  (5.0.2 for the Mac), the masking is OK outside Revolution.
>>
>>  I can't guess what's wrong and I can't think of a way of finding out.
>>  I don't have any other tools dedicated to editing or examining QT
>>  movies.
>>
>>  Any suggestions?
>
>Does the second player have its alwaysBuffer property set to true?

That was it! The alwaysBuffer has to be set to false! Why in the name
of thunder is that? I wanted to set the property to true because I
drag the movies around the screen at runtime and wanted this to work
smoothly... OTOH I don't want them to run jerkily (they do anyway, on
this Mac) and having the property set to false is supposed to improve
smoothness according to the Transcript Dictionary (which doesn't
mention masking at all). So I can't get the setting right, in fact.
QT movie players seem such attractive things until you actually get
up close to them...

Thanks anyway, Richard