Newbie Questions from a ToolBook Developer

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 22 07:56:21 EST 2003

John,

I am new to Revolution but spent years developing in SuperCard. I
started using REV in late October and have creates a marketing CD for a
third party that is cross platform in just two months. I can say that
REV seems solid on both WIN and Mac as far as system differences go.
The only gotchas that I have seen are mostly in my own lack of
understanding for "One tool" and one stack to work on both systems. A
lot of pre planning is needed to deal with the visual issues of both
platforms.

Rev does have a few gotchas within it's own IDE that I believe are
getting worked on as we speak and yes I have had to learn quickly how
to get around them.

My problem areas were:
	Treating groups correctly. In my case OVER correctly. :-)
	Text formatting for both platforms. And inconsistent issues within
REV. - This is being worked on.
	Dealing with systems that don't have Quicktime. - More of a
understanding issue
	GUI differences on both platforms.
	New functions and syntax from what I was used to.
	Relative paths and defaultFolder. - there is a fix for in development.

I have learned quickly and feel very comfortable in a short time.

I downloaded Every stack I could find online and read every line of
code in them. I still go back and open one or two a day and 'rip' them
apart for understanding.

I don't know about number 2. and 3. is in the Groups. P.S. if you don't
make the group first before you make new cards then it won't be
included on each new card after the fact. I just right a button to
repeat for number of cards and paste. Then before I hit the button I do
a copy of the grouped objects. It does not seem to cause any adverse
affects having to do this. I wish there were a way to create a
'background' element. However if you already have a background group on
all cards you can add to this group after the fact and the new object
within this group will be included in all cards that have that
background group.

HTH

Tom