OODB/Valentina-Revolution

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Dec 21 14:40:19 EST 2003

>Or maybe I'm just not explaining it correctly?

Hi Chuck,

I, for one, am unsure of your definition of OODB or the specific db
structure you wish to support.  I started a response to your original
query re OODB; but trashed it because (a) I wasn't sure it was
pertinent and (b) I could not find and current links to the product
on the 'net.

Before discussions on the HyperCard List convinced me to write my own
database, I purchased a license for Answer Software's HyBase [I'm
hazy on the company name, it was in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, or
thereabouts].

HyBase was touted as a fourth-generation database capable of
supporting code segments and objects.  It was delivered as a set of
extensions in HyperTalk external format.  It looked promising &
powerful to me; but (1) it was overkill for my needs and (2) by using
my own db I have no liability for royalties when distributing my
products.

I really don't know if this has any relevance to your question; but
if you want to take another shot at describing the data structure(s)
and functionality you want to support, I'll ponder whether/how one
might support them in SDB.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company