Understanding Externals

Tereza Snyder tereza at attainmentcompany.com
Thu Dec 18 19:04:49 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 8:59 AM, David Egbert wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how externals function in a standalone app. on
> MacOS X. If I use "set the externals" in the main stack, can the
> externals
> be used with all the sub-stacks?

Yes.

> Or if I associate the external to a
> sub-stack, can it only be used on that stack? I couldn't find any
> documentation about this. :-(

I'm not sure about substacks, but if you "start using" the stack the
external is associated with, it will be available to other scripts. I
myself keep these stacks in separate files rather than substacks.

> Also, is there documentation on placing the external inside a
> macOSX.app?  I
> thought I could just set a variable that points to the /Contents/MacOS/
> folder and use "set externals" to point to the bundle inside that
> folder.
> Unfortunately it's not working for me.

I don't use the distribution builder, but I've found that when you open
the stack that has its externals property defined, the external should
be in the current (at that instant) directory in order to be loaded.
What I do is set the directory to the location of the external, then
"start using" the stack associated with it. After that I can reset the
directory as I like.

--

. . .. ... ..... ACT AGAINST ENTROPY! ..... ... .. . .