5454 HC corruption

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Tue Dec 16 19:15:53 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 8:24 PM, SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

> Kee,
> Just curious,
> Why do you go to each card in the stack before compacting?

He indicated that he has a customer with a stack that has a corrupted
card and they have continued to use that stack for a year or more. I
found that I too had a stack with a corrupted card that was corrupted
in all my backups also.

By going to each card I insure that they are all uncorrupted. If I can
cycle all the way through the stack, then I am saving a stack that is
worth saving. If the go to each card thing fails, I immediately know I
have a problem and I deal with it rather than storing corrupted
backups.

I know, it's lame and time consuming but my recovery time from a 5454
crash is essentially a couple of minutes whereas the first time it
happened it was at least a day of painful rebuilding.

Kee