Find a text in a list

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 18:12:17 EST 2003

--- Yves COPPE <yvescoppe at skynet.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a list of names.
>
> Id like to type the first letters of the name and
> the first letters of
> the first name to retrieve all the names beginning
> with those letters.
>

> for ex.
>
> a list with
>
> Gaskin Richard
> Major Klaus
> Major Klaudia
> Rice Alex
> Rossi Scott
> Schenkel Jan
>

> If I type in a "ask" dialog :
>
> "klau maj"
> or
> "maj klau"
>

> the result should be :
> 2
> 3
>
> respectively the numbers of the lines where those
> chunk are present
>
> I've tried wtih lineOffset but without success..
>
> Can anyone help me ?
> Thank you.
>
> Greetings.
>
> Yves COPPE

Hi Yves,

The following ought to work :
--
on mouseUp
  put fld 1 into tSearchText
  put "maj klau" into tSearchWords
  put 0 into tLineCounter
  repeat for each line tLine in tSearchText
    add 1 to tLineCounter
    put true into tWordPresent
    repeat for each word tWord in tSearchWords
      put tWordPresent and (tWord is in tLine) \
          into tWordPresent
    end repeat
    if tWordPresent
    then put tLineCounter & return after tLines
  end repeat
  delete char -1 of tLines
  answer tLines
end mouseUp