Apple script problems

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 10:06:04 EST 2003

<EFC1B732-2F75-11D8-A288-0003937A97B8 at genesearch.com.au>

> >>  I am still surprised that AppleScript doesn't do
> the normal thing and
> >>  just return a comma/return (or tab/return)
> delimited text file instead
> >>  of the  curly brackets. Thank God there are not
> curly brackets in the
> >>  database.
> >>
> >Jim,
> >
> >I don't have FileMaker so I can't test this, but
> what do you get if you
> >say:
> >	get every record as string
> >in the AppleScript?
> >
> >AppleScript has decided to give you a list and that
> may end up easiest
> >to process, but try coercing it to a string and see
> what happens.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Sarah
> >sarahr at genesearch.com.au
> >http://www.troz.net/Rev/
> >

> Sarah,
>
> You are a champ, proving the superiority of string
> theory! It returns
> a tab/return delimited string.
>
> Unfortunately, for a big file, I get an "execution
> error." But I got
> that without the "as string." I don't think this is
> a Run Rev
> capacity problem. I am able to import the file into
> a varaibe (or a
> field). I  suspect that AppleScript has limits on
> string lengths.
>
> Back to the tried-and-true--importing a text file.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to come to the discussion so late, but couldn't
you avoid a lot of problems by hooking Revolutions
straight into the FMPro database via the Query Manager
and ODBC ?
This way you can use SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE
sql-sueries to fetch and manipulate data inside your
FMPro database.
There are a few people on this list who have used such
solutions to circumvent limitations in FMPro. If you
need more information, don't hesitate to poke the
list.

Jan Schenkel.

=====