OT report generation software

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Dec 4 13:30:13 EST 2003

The writing PDF files from Runrev thread got me thinking about report
generation alternatives in general. Here are two good tools that people
might be interested to learn about. These are not really runrev related
at all, but if you are trying to figure out how to create PDFs from
your runrev app, it could be useful.

1) PDFCamp <http://www.verypdf.com/pdfcamp/pdfcamp.htm> is a PDF
printer driver for Win2000 or newer. It works much like the "print to
PDF" feature on OS X, or the Adobe Acrobat PDFWriter printer drivers on
Wi32. **

** if anyone is using PDFCamp from their Runrev app, ask me about a bug
I reported to verypdf involving the cwd/defaultFolder

2) Crystal Clear Reports
<http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/CrystalClear/Default.htm>
This is a really killer app. It's a xplatform (Java) clone of Crystal
Reports (the Win32 only reporting suite). It has about 8 different
output formats including PDF. Your rev app could put content into a
relational database (ODBC, MySql whatever), then Crystal would connect
to the database and build a report. It is run as a standalone app,
and/or a java servlet.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>