record sound and mp4a

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Mon Apr 14 17:17:01 EDT 2003

Kevin:
Does this work in 2.0?  (Note the syntax for setting the recording
format
has changed.)

Kurt:
(Mac OS X 10.2.5; QT "Pro" 6.1.1; Rev 2.0 b2)
Oddly, the entry "MPEG-4 Audio,mp4a" shows up as one of the
"recordformats", but when I use the "answer record" syntax, mp4 is not
listed as an option.  I'm guessing that mp4 is a supported conversion
if QT 6 "Pro" is installed, but is not supported as a direct recording
format.  Can anyone corroborate this?

Also, when I record using the "record sound file" syntax, the resulting
file often is scrambled, with the file severely truncated and even
out-of-sequence.  For instance, if I count from 1 to 10, the file might
play back as "6-7-8-9-2-3".  Weird!

(Not tested on Windows or Mac OS 9).

We're in a bigger better war
For your patriotic pastime,
We don't know what we're fighting for-
But we didn't know the last time.
	-Ira Gershwin, "Strike Up the Band", 1927