Conway's Game of Life

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Apr 9 09:01:01 EDT 2003

>Message: 6
>Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:48:43 +0900
>Subject: Re: Conway's Game of Life
>From: mark mitchell <cowhead at mac.com>
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>

>I've done an extremely basic cellular automata in Rev.  It ain't much,
>and only took about 15 minutes to code, but you're welcome to it.  Just
>make a scrolling field, set the text format to Courier size 10,  then
>stick this script in a button or somewhere.  The cells are then
>different colored apples based on a basic neighbor's rule and a random
>first line:

Mark,

Thank you for your Game of "somewhat more primitive" life. I've
enjoyed it; food for further exploration.

It doesn't seem to evolve to "intelligent" life (that is, some form
of order.) At least I didn't recognize it. Maybe it developed and
then became extinct. A lesson for us all.

For those of us impatient with the passage of time, I found it helped
to put a "lock screen" just after "repeat 50 times" (And of course an
"unlock screen" just before end repeat.

Jim