Poor man's encrypted data

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 5 13:45:00 EST 2003

Ro Nagey wrote:

> On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 06:21 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> For sending data across the net in a semi-secure format, can you think
>> of
>> any downsides to simply storing the data in custom props in a
>> password-protected stack?
>>
> Define semi-secure?

In lieu of a formal definition, for me it means at a minimum not clear text,
but also goes further to be not merely binhexed or other common algorithm.

In the the case of password-protected stacks it means whatever level of
security is provided by the engine's password encryption.

> The result of decryption? Amount of traffic flow of
> stacks?

I'm imagining tucking data into a stack file as a custom property,
effectively using the stack file as a form of security wrapper.  The
additional ovehead of the stack structure is just a few k, and the mechanism
simple-to-use and fast.

> Assuming that you are sending the same stack with the exception of the
> data in the custom props:
> 1. I intercept the data.
> 2. I notice that the the data looks the same except for small section.
> 3. I attack the small section with decrypt tools.

Have you successfully cracked MC's password protection (please don't post
the algorithm if you have)?

> I've been curious why no one has done a Rev version of PGP.

PGP would be ideal, but while we wait for that I'm wondering what markets
would be satisied with merely "hard to crack" data as opposed to "extremely
had to crack".

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation