Distributing Rev Stacks (was The age of user-translatable applications...

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Sep 12 10:42:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, September 12, 2002, at 11:01  AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Now when it comes to individual stacks, I want ONE format that can be
> used to download to any platform.  I believe BinHex is that format. If
> I am wrong, what do others suggest?  A few years ago I read an article
> that suggested BinHex was the ONLY 100% safe format for Internet file
> transfer.  Would others care to comment?

Most Windows users have never heard of BinHex as a wrapper for a
compressed file, or otherwise. Most browsers do not automatically
unBinHex them, in my experience. Not even on my Mac.

I'm not at all sure what single format could be used, save perhaps .zip.
Zip is the only compression scheme that Windows users are almost
universally familiar with. Mac users understand Zip, Sit, Sea or hqx.

My two cents.  :)
--
Troy
RPSystems, LTD