Portable file names

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Oct 16 22:37:01 EDT 2002

I don't know if this is useful to share, but if only to perhaps confirm
the wisdom of 25 characters and .ext as a good constraint despite what
the OS might tell you:

I am having some real anamolies  in this area with OSX-Jaquar... which
I thought supported long files names..

I have files previously saved under OS 9  where elipses were introduced
to truncate long subject lines in emails of audio transcripts:

03-09-02 The Ne…ligion - Part 2

now the finder will show elipses under a narrow view but the full file
name can be copied out:

8-25-02_2002_Kauai_Innersearch_Day_3,_Part_3_.txt

Where these were file names generated with a "Save as" from Apple's
mail.app. defaulting to filename=subject line of msg.

*but* ! any attempt to change a character in the long file name
manually in the finder returns an error message that it is too long...
even though Jaquar accepted the long file name in a system level
openfile process

to make matters even more interesting, but less fun.. libURL  replaces
the elipses previously introduced in long file names in OS9 with some
high ASCII garbage in an FTP download over the LAN:

Long_filenameFront…LongNameEnd.txt

Question: what is the length limitation on a system such as a Solaris
Unix server?