Portable file names

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Oct 15 13:25:00 EDT 2002

> 1. I recall Ken Ray telling me that a file extension is required on
> some platforms.

Only if you want to map a Rev stack file to an application as a "document"
(for Windows). Technically it doesn't need to have one for other uses (so
for example if you have a Rev stack that is always next to your standalone
and read by that standalone but never 2x-clicked).

> 2. I don't know whether these are platform issues or ISP issues, but:
>
> a. extensions longer than three characters (eg: .html) can loose the
> 4th & subsequent characters

They shouldn't. File extensions longer than 3 characters are supported on
all platforms (AFAIK), including UNIX and Windows servers. Can you provide
an example of where you've seen that truncated to 3 characters?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/