Portable file names

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Oct 15 12:58:00 EDT 2002

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 11:14 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On Mac you can't use the colon (:).
>
> On Windows you can't use any of these: \ /:*?"<> |
>
> Macs (pre OS X) have maximum of 31 characters in the name of a file or
> folder, Windows is 255 (I think Mac OS X is 255 as well).

What?  No Regex?  ;-)

Anybody know about Linux?  CDs?  zip?  stuffed files?  tar.gz files?  Files
in installers?  floppy files?

What about case?

> Spaces shouldn't be a problem, IMHO.

Sometimes I can refer to files with spaces in command lines by quoting them.
   I can't remember any OS or programs that wouldn't let me do this, but I'
m sure I ran across that.  Anybody know of important OS's or command-line
apps that can't handle files with spaces?

Dar Scott