Portable file names

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Oct 15 12:50:00 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 10:47 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> 1. I recall Ken Ray telling me that a file extension is required on some
> platforms.

I've looked at some info on ISO-9660 level 2 (CD) and it is not clear to me
whether it is required here.  I think no more than one can be used, but I
don't understand whether one is required.

> 2. I don't know whether these are platform issues or ISP issues, but:
>
> a. extensions longer than three characters (eg: .html) can loose the 4th
> & subsequent characters

It is not clear to me whether this applies to ISO-9660, but I think not.
Anybody know?

> b. I find file names with high order characters (eg: "Français") uploaded
> to my ftp site end up with "_" in place of the character; so I have to
> manually replace these characters (eg: "Francais") in addition to
> replacing spaces.  In this particular case I feel the downloaded file must
> retain the original character set; so the file compressed for download is
> renamed, not the original file.

Is this a problem with the uploading software or a problem with the site?
That is, if you use %xx chars, does this upload and download OK?  Does this
apply to spaces?

Dar Scott