How real is the embedded web-page technique?

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Fri Oct 11 14:23:01 EDT 2002

At 07:38 PM 10/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >  I agree that an embedded rendering engine would be a killer feature.
>
>Embedded or higly integrated ?
>
>--snip--
>
>There's no reason why you can't currently use rev as your "control panel"
>and a browser as your "display mechanism" with the users monitor as the
>"pane".

I was going to ask for a better definition of the difference between
"embedded" and "highly integrated" but I think based on your example I'd
have to say "embedded".  I refer again to my e-mail client example:  the
model currently used in several clients is a "mailbox" pane, a "subjects"
pane, and a "message viewer" pane.  If I wanted to create such an
application in RR that supported HTML mail, I don't think I could without
an embeddable HTML rendering engine.  Clicking on a message in the
"subjects" pane and having it fire up an external browser would be too
kludgey, IMO.

But maybe this is a Windows bias . . . I'm a bit more used to having my
apps self-contained.  Those few times I've had the opportunity to work on
Macs I've found it disconcerting to have the menu floating off detached
from the working area of its application.  Windows-conditioning aside, I
stand by my wish:  I'd love to see a cross-platform control in RR that can
render any well-formed HTML thrown at it.

Jim