How real is the embedded web-page technique?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Oct 9 21:53:01 EDT 2002

Recently, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> This sounds like a great idea - - however I must be doing something wrong.
> If I go into the messagebox and type:
>
> put URL "http://www.runrev.com/index.html" into temp
> put "temp = " & temp
>
> I get no results.   I tried a bunch of other URLs like (http://www.apple.com)
> and didn't get anything either.   I'm definetely connected to the network, as
> I'm able to send out this email message on AOL.   (Perhaps AOL's the problem -
> - - I'm on dialup).   I'm on Mac OS X, (Jaguar).   I'm in authoring mode, so I
> would think I'd have all the internet tools available, right?
>
> When I do get this working, will I be able to have the user click on the
> hyperlinks displayed on the web-page that's displayed as HTML in that field?
> In other words, is it just like embedding a browser on the card, or is this
> just a means of displaying a page to the user, but they can't click on
> hyperlinks.   If this does let me treat that field like an actual browser,
> with clickable hyperlinks, I will be extremely impressed with Revolution.

This doesn't put *rendered* HTML in a field -- the HTML source of the URL is
placed there, and it's up to you to decide if/how you want to parse it for
links, etc.  Doing this is definitely possible, but depending on the
complexity of the HTML, it may or may not be a trivial job.

Note for Rev/MC teams:

I've seen the "Can I view HTML pages in Rev/MC?" questions come up time and
again on the Rev and MC lists, and perhaps it's just me, but it seems that
the answers given often skirt the intent of the original question.  IMO, it
would be more useful for new users to be told directly that Rev/MC does
*not* provide an embedded Web browser, nor does it render HTML on its own.
I believe it would be in your best interest as the creators of the tools to
reference Rev/MC's ability to display *HTML source* and not the rendered
HTML pages that folks see in a Web browser.

Two cents...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director