Valentina and OS-X (Darwin) revisited...

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 06:06:02 EST 2002

--- Greg Saylor <gsaylor at net-virtual.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A long time ago (8 months or so) I had posted about
> using Valentina under
> OS-X Darwin...   Unfortunately the lack of this
> ability has held up my
> project for over a year now - and this was only
> discovered after having
> purchased Revolution...  So Revolution has basically
> been a complete bust
> for me due to this issue... ;-(   I even convinced
> one of my clients to
> purchase a license as well, but thankfully the
> mistake of purchasing it
> for use as a database application was one that I
> made on my own dime and
> not my client's...
>
> I just tried the revdb under Darwin and it doesn't
> work either:
>
> #!Darwin
>
> on startUp
>         get revdb_connect("Valentina","","faa.vdb")
>
>         put "Hello WOrld!" into tresponse
>         put tresponse
> end startUp
>

> NOTE: If I comment out the "get revdb_connect" line
> this script does what
> is expected (it prints "Hello World!" to the
> console)...  If I don't I
> get the following result:
>
> [host100:Revolution 1.1.1/components/engines] root#
> ./test
> Darwin exiting on signal 10
> [host100:Revolution 1.1.1/components/engines] root#
>

> What this all comes down to is that I have to get
> this project start --
> which should have been finished by now.. And my
> Revolution license which
> has been doing nothing but collecting dust is coming
> up for renewal...
>
> Is it possible to either use Valentina with the
> Darwin engine or at least
> to get the OS-X engine to function correctly from
> the command line?
>
> It remains baffling to me that the developers of
> these respective
> products have not yet integrated their products to
> work together at the
> command-line...  Practically every database product
> worth any amount of
> salt has the ability to manipulate the data using
> command-line tools...
>
> It is enough of a burden to have to learn this new
> transcript language
> and development environment which is extremely
> inefficient (at least to
> me)...  I like to have vi open in one window and
> execute my scripts from
> another window.. The fact that I have to keep
> draggin' a mouse all over
> the screen just to get something to work is simply a
> distraction -
> especially when trying to conceptualize some process
> which should operate
> entirely automated without any human interaction....
>
> Sorry if I sound bitter, but I am... I have never
> bought a product before
> that I was so excited about and after almost a year
> still been unable to
> [...]

Hi Greg,

Just to clear a few things up, as they are in my head:
1) There is no 'Darwin' version of Valentina.
2) If you're running the 'cgi' version of RunRev, you
have no access to the libraries such as the database
and printing libraries.
3) Those libraries should be present in the version
2.0 of the 'cgi' app ; but you'd still be limited in
what you can do under Darwin as it has no ODBC or
Valentina.

Thus I'd recommand the following path:
1) Run full MacOSX on the machine
2) Build your own cgi-server with RunRev ; Gary
Rathbone from this list has posted an example stack on
the RunRev Newbie Board.

This way you can make sure all the libraries are
loaded and the connection to the Valentina database is
opened at the start.
Moreover, you could more easily maintain your cgi's as
they're in a single stack instead of a collection of
text files.

Hope this helped, even if it wasn't the answer you
were looking for.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====