Inappropriate Interface Behaviour during mouseDown

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Nov 18 10:58:08 EST 2002

>* Has anyone else noticed this behaviour before, and found a way to
>work around it, in order to obtain the desired interface
>functionality?

Hi Igor,

You can achieve most of the functionality without scripting by
assigning multiple icons to a button and setting "arm on mouseEnter"
property.

You can also script mouse events to change the background color
and/or hilite of the button.

The one exception I noted is:

Similarly, if a user presses a mouse button OUTSIDE a clickable area,
and then moves the cursor OVER a clickable area, then the clickable
area should change its appearance, indicating that if the user lets
go of the mouse at that location, an action will trigger.
<<

Frankly, I don't believe I've ever seen this implemented, and I
really question whether it is desirable behavior.  The reasoning for
using mouseUp instead of mouseDown to trigger an event is so a user
can reverse the mouseDown action without triggering the event by
moving the mouse outside the control before releasing it.  The idea
of triggering an event by holding the mouse down before entering a
control and releasing it once it is over the control seems totally
foreign and non-intuitive to me (except for pull-down menus).
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company