swf files? (OT)

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Nov 17 17:07:01 EST 2002

>>Do you really see such an importance for shockwave like for flash?
>>Imho the filesize is to big. Flash is a killer because of its small size...
>>Sometimes I think MM will let it die slowly together with Director
>>and blow Flash then up with a Pro version up to a new Director...
>
>Not really. Directory is mainly useful for multimedia CDs using
>pixel pictures. Because of the popularity of the internet, the glory
>days of the multimedia CD are over. But there is still use for
>Directory, especially when you think about DVD menus. (I don't know
>if Directory can do that, but it could be(come) a handy tool for
>it).  Shockwave is a way to bring these multimedia projects to the
>internet. However, because file sizes are much more important on the
>internet than on CD, Shockwave is never really efficient.

You can already author for DVDs using Director. Shockwave/Director
also supports a truckload of features (= interactivity) that Flash
doesn't, which don't necessarily involve manipulating bitmap images.
As always, it's horses for courses.

Cheers,

Terry...
Dr Terry Judd
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
AUSTRALIA