swf files?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sun Nov 17 14:21:00 EST 2002

On 11/17/02 1:23 PM, "Wolfgang M. Bereuter" <wmb at internettrainer.com> wrote:

>> And with the addition of "the qtdebugstring" we can even have
>> some kind of interactivity between QT/Flash and MC/RR.
> But if I go QT. What can rev+QT do what LSP cant do apart from the
> *nixens...
> Is there more..? Database connectivity?

Hmm. What can Rev and QT do that QT alone can't? I think that is the
question, since LSP is just a means of programming the QT. So this is not
really about LSP or Rev, it is about QT (LSP) + Rev, compared to QT (LSP)
alone.

The first issue - QuickTime cannot save local files. It can send and receive
data through QT lists, and you can save that data on a server, but you can't
save it locally.

QT does support database connectivity, but not directly, it must be
processed by a server-side script.

Text handling is extremely limited in QT alone, unless you combine in Flash
tracks, but now you need to know Flash, and LSP, and your project planning
must be more complex.

QT is not very fast at programmatic operations.

While LSP has a good scripting language, Rev's is far more capable and
easier to learn.

There are other weaknesses, but wrapping a nice QT that has been
"pre-programmed" in LSP inside a Rev app (or iShell) certainly allows you to
hide any weaknesses of QT and allow the strengths to show.

Cheers.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.