Hilite With Transparent Button

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Thu Nov 14 18:05:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 "Ted" <tedl at voyager.net> wrote:

> Pixel inversion under transparent buttons was a very useful feature of
> HyperCard; it allowed you to quickly and easily hilite any object.

Hmm, seems like all apps should work this way.  OK, let's try try this
one then:

Monochrome was a very useful feature of HyperCard, because it reduced
memory requirements and made pixel inversion hiliting very easy to
implement.

;-)

> I requested this feature when Revolution was in beta testing. Kevin added it
> to the list, but I don't know where it stands at this point.

Hey, you want pixel inversion, just draw a white object (black on the
Mac, I think) with its ink set to srcXor on top of your object.  Once
you see what that looks like, though, you'll see why I think you don't
really want what you're asking for...
  Regards,
    Scott

> Ted

PS: and about that plan of using a GIF as an image library.  It's bad
idea because the frames are all decompressed ahead of time, chewing up
large amounts of RAM for no good reason unless you're actually going
to use it for animation where performance is more important than
memory requirements.